Who doesn’t like perfect straight teeth? They not only improve your smile but complement the overall appearance as well. However, some people have naturally crooked teeth. It impacts their confidence as they are embarrassed to smile, or even eat something in front of others.
Role of Straightened Teeth on the Oral Health
An important thing to note here is that crooked teeth not only just impact your smile and self-esteem. They deprive you of many health benefits which straightened teeth offer. For example, when the tooth is properly aligned, they harbor fewer bacteria. The reason? It’s easy to clean them as compared to crooked teeth. And when your teeth are clean, your oral hygiene improves. This limits the chances of suffering from periodontal disease and tooth decay.
In addition, gums better support teeth when they are straightened and not overlapping. Tooth that fit/align together properly are also less prone to chipping, wearing away, or breaking.
So, wondering how to have straight teeth? We have got you covered. This article talks about ways you can get your teeth straightened. Continue reading!
Getting braces is one of the most common treatments for getting straight teeth. They help correct crowded or crooked teeth along with the misaligned jaw. They work by applying consistent pressure on the teeth. This eventually leads to tooth getting into the correct position. Apart from fixing the teeth’ position, they also remodel the bone.
Braces are made of different parts, and together, they gradually straighten the teeth. These parts are:
- Brackets: These are small metal or ceramic links glued joined with each other.
- Arch Wire: It is a long and thin metallic wire that helps with alignment. It connects the brackets so that they can pull the teeth closer to each other.
- Bonding material: It is a mouth-friendly adhesive, which is used to connect tooth with brackets.
- Ligature Elastic: This brace part connects the brackets and archwire. It must be tightened and switched out by an orthodontist to work properly. It is available in different colors.
- Spacers: Spacers are positioned in between every tooth as they allow the bands to fit without causing any discomfort.
It is another effective teeth straightening treatment opted for by many. It is basically a series of custom-fitted aligners that are placed over the teeth. They gradually correct the alignment of the tooth over 1 to 2 years. The actual time Invisalign takes to fix teeth alignment depends on the current condition/alignment of teeth.
One of the major reasons why people have started to pick Invisalign over braces is that the former is almost invisible. Therefore, you can wear them without letting the world know that you’re getting dental alignment treatment. Furthermore, they are custom-made so they fit comfortably and easily.
How to Fix Crooked Teeth at Home?
Apart from these two dental treatments, there are various ways you can get straight teeth at home. Let’s take a look at them:
- Finger Pressure: You can apply gentle pressure on the teeth in your desired direction. Do not apply too much pressure as it can cause gum damage or other oral health issues. In the worst-case scenario, you may end up losing your tooth.
- Tongue Pressure: This works the same way as dental braces. You just have to put pressure along the gum line in the correct direction.
- Dental Floss: In this technique, you have to put pressure on the teeth using dental floss, instead of your finger or tongue. Again, you have to be gentle in your approach to avoid hurting your gums or teeth.
While all these treatments work for teeth straightening, it’s recommended to visit the best Yakima orthodontist for your oral health examination. After inspecting your tooth, they will recommend the right treatment for teeth alignment and straightening.