Crooked or misaligned teeth can greatly impact your smile and facial features. However, the advancement in dentistry has made it easier for people to get straightened and perfectly aligned teeth. Among different braces, braces happen to be the most common one for straightening teeth.
However, after the process of getting braces is over, you need to follow an aftercare routine to get the desired outcome. Read on to know more about dental braces aftercare:
What Can You Eat with Braces?
You may feel that your mouth has become sensitive during the initial few days after getting them. This is why eating certain food products may cause discomfort or pain.
Dentists usually recommend eating softer and easy-to-chew food items during this stage. These include:
- Mashed potatoes
- Scrambled eggs
- Soft cheeses
- Soft fruits
- Soft vegetables (preferably cooked)
- Moist desserts
At the same time, you should be avoiding ice creams, spicy food, hard/thick meat, and citrus foods. Having said that, your mouth sensitivity will improve after a week or so. Therefore, you will only have to follow these dietary restrictions for a limited time only.
Can You Brush Your Teeth with Braces?
Yes, you can. But, remember that brushing your teeth with braces can be more challenging as the metal wires may make it difficult for you to clean them properly. You have to follow certain tips to brush them. These are:
- Rinse your teeth with water before brushing. This will loosen food particles attached to the braces.
- Brush at a 45-degree angle, starting from the gum line. Prefer using a toothbrush designed for dental braces.
- Then, starting from the top of the braces’ brackets, brush in an angle-down motion.
- Next, starting from the bottom, brush in an angle-up motion.
- Do not miss out on brushing every tooth. This is important to remove food debris and plaque.
- Surely, this process takes more time than regular brushing, but it’s vital if you want to improve the health of your teeth.
What to do for Teeth Whitening with Braces?
Apart from regular brushing and flossing, there are certain treatments that can help to whiten teeth with braces. These include using whitening strips, whitening trays, using a whitening toothpaste, etc. You can consult your orthodontist in Yakima for more effective tips for teeth whitening.
Other Tips for Dental Braces Aftercare
Maintain proper oral hygiene. People with braces are more likely to suffer from oral health issues since brushing and flossing become difficult. Paying more attention to oral hygiene can help alleviate this issue.
If you are into sports, make sure you’re wearing a mouth guard since an unexpected blow or fall is part and parcel of many games. It will not only protect your braces but your teeth and gums as well.
By following the above routine, you will be able to improve the health of your teeth while improving their position and alignment. Furthermore, it is important that you take care of your teeth properly even after braces have done their job and are removed. This is integral for optimal oral health.